Thursday, March 15, 2012

Stop Kony 2012


Stop Kony 2012

            Last week I was scrolling through my timeline on Twitter and I see something called Stop Kony 2012. At first I just scrolling through my timeline, but I see everyone kept talking about so I decided to watch the video. When I pressed play I wasn’t prepared for what I saw. Joseph Kony is one of the world’s worst criminals. He runs an army called the LRA and he kidnaps kids and turns the boys into child soldiers and the girls into sex slaves. The LRA started in Northern Uganda, but it’s no longer active there, but it’s still active in Democratic Republic of Congo, Central African Republic, and South Sudan. The LRA is in its 26 year history and they have kidnapped more than 30,000 kids.

            Joseph Kony took over the LRA in 1987. Kony started kidnapping kids because he was running out of fighters. The LRA has a very bad reputation for its cruel and brutal tactics. The LRA is even encouraged to rape, mutilate, and kill civilians most of the time with blunt weapons. The kids that they are forced to kill their parents and if they’re girls they either become wives to Kony or sex slaves.

            The Invisible Children has been working for 9 years to end Africa’s longest-running armed conflict. U.S. military advisers are currently deployed in Central Africa on a “time-limited” mission to stop Kony and disarm the LRA. If Kony isn’t captured this year, the window will be gone. The Invisible Children are trying to make Kony famous, so he can be captured and so his army can be brought down.

            I think everyone in the world should do their best to make Kony famous so we can bring him down. There are a lot of things we can do to help the Invisible Children bring down Kony. We can purchase a physical kit, we can donate to the Invisible Children, and we can finds way to post media around our cities. So I think we need to do our best to help the Invisible Children because Kony is an evil man and him and his army needs to be brought down.

No comments:

Post a Comment